Monday, March 2, 2015

Yes I am a Art Quilter !!!

When we are at art shows or other special events with our work , for the most part people do not understand or comprehend what we do. They will look at our work and say oh yah grandma did that...or I can do that...and pray tell some could if they tried .   But Art Quilters in my mind are the people who love fabric, and all the treasures that seem to follow them , buttons , beads, trims, yarns and more to "Paint" pictures with.  Now some of us have made or maybe still make traditional quilts , but unless we are doing a Baltimore Album quilt that we designed all the blocks ourselves , most people do not consider it art.

But I feel that anyone who can sit down and take fabric and patiently create colorful functional objects in the pain staking manor to which they are created , and the meticulous details in most.  They too are artists although there are traditionalists that refuse that title.

I love painting with fabrics, now a days you can find so many wonderful textured fabrics that allow us to really think outside the box ,..or take plain fabrics and hand dye them ususally in fun batiky kind of way.
But you can take anything your imagination comes up with and create it in fabrics.

I like doing smaller pieces as I sell my work and prefer people to provide it with a good forever home.
But I also do smaller pieces because even at their size they are labor intensive and I could not sell larger
pieces for the money I would have to charge.

And lets face it unless you live in a mansion with unlimited white walls , large pieces are not going to be a viable option.

So yes my name is Lorri and I am a Art Quilter....let me create for you today...

No comments:

Why I create (my new name Lorri Lee Glennon)

My photo
Hobbsville, North Carolina, United States
Having been a artist literally all my life, I love color and dimension.I learned to sew at age 10 , by age 13 started a stuffed animal business, which grew into a collectable Teddy Bear Business for 15 + years. I opened my own bead store specializing in Spontaneous Creation classes and love to teach everyone they could be creative and open the door to their imagination.I recently returned to one of my favorite art forms taking photographs my father gave me my first camera when I was a child and I have loved photography ever since. I took professional family portraits and weddings for the first 5 years living in the Outer Banks, I am now shooting Family portraits again and sharing my love of the Outer Banks through my blogs. Be creative, walk in faith and never give up....It all happens in God's time