Saturday, September 12, 2009

Imagination...part of nuturing creativity



Imagination 1. the faculty of imagining, or of forming mental images or concepts of what is not actually present to the senses.
2. the action or process of forming such images or concepts.
3. the faculty of producing ideal creations consistent with reality, as in literature, as distinct from the power of creating illustrative or decorative imagery. Compare fancy (def. 2).
4. the product of imagining; a conception or mental creation, often a baseless or fanciful one.
5. ability to face and resolve difficulties; resourcefulness: a job that requires imagination.
6. Psychology. the power of reproducing images stored in the memory under the suggestion of associated images (reproductive imagination) or of recombining former experiences in the creation of new images directed at a specific goal or aiding in the solution of problems (creative imagination).
7. (in Kantian epistemology) synthesis of data from the sensory manifold into objects by means of the categories.
8. Archaic. a plan, scheme, or plot.

I decided to post the dictionary meaning ...and I highlighted the two that mean the most in the art world and to artists...but also to people in general...alas if only they would get it.



4. the product of imagining; a conception or mental creation, often a baseless or fanciful one.

I love this ....and why ...because it tells us ultimately there are absolutely no boundaries. It means we can take our creativity to levels that surpass what we were taught. That is why so many artists have difficulty in real life, our brains are wired to go against the norm ...and if we allow ourselves to take yellow, purple and orange fabric and design a giant bird sculpture that makes us happy...it is not baseless??? it is based on the essence of our soul. But I like the meaning because people who NEED permission to experiment and think outside the box sometimes need that in a formal manner. Hence written down.. its the rest of us who mothers told us not to go outside in our fancy Easter dress and play who ended up making mud pies while in that dress because it had rained the night before and well it was just there so we had too. despite the repercussions.

Don't create in perfection... nothing is Perfect...you shouldn't strive for perfection because all it does is hinder your imagination. Let your soul dance in whatever medium you love... When I first started taking pictures from my little 110 camera to my argus twinflex...to my pentax and even today with my digital .. I have always loved taking pictures of things and shapes and textures. I have pics of old trees...or flowers or just my mountains .. I love my mountains. But I don't attempt to take pictures anyone but me would approve of in real sense. And I love them ...

examples of those are on the last two blogs....

So Imagine everything and fear nothing, let your soul have control and you will be magnificient.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1300–50; ME < L imāginātiōn- (s. of imāginātiō) fancy, equiv. to imāgināt(us) ptp. of imāginārī to imagine (imāgin-, s. of imāgō image + -ātus -ate 1 ) + -iōn- -ion

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Tammy Freiborg said...

I love your pictures and place my golden stamp of approval upon both your shell photos - I know you don't need my stamp but I'm giving it to a wonderful artist! I love you words also.

Lorri Lee Chambers said...

Thank You,

Tammy thank you for the Golden Stamp...I am working on some new things and hope it call comes together very soon.

blessings

Why I create (my new name Lorri Lee Glennon)

My photo
Hobbsville, North Carolina, United States
Having been a artist literally all my life, I love color and dimension.I learned to sew at age 10 , by age 13 started a stuffed animal business, which grew into a collectable Teddy Bear Business for 15 + years. I opened my own bead store specializing in Spontaneous Creation classes and love to teach everyone they could be creative and open the door to their imagination.I recently returned to one of my favorite art forms taking photographs my father gave me my first camera when I was a child and I have loved photography ever since. I took professional family portraits and weddings for the first 5 years living in the Outer Banks, I am now shooting Family portraits again and sharing my love of the Outer Banks through my blogs. Be creative, walk in faith and never give up....It all happens in God's time