Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Nuturing Creativity Part two......


There is another level to creativity that the school systems have chosen to ignore for the most part around here ...when they cut the art class funding and said it was not a functional or necessary class...

But they were wrong and are wrong...Art instills a complex thinking process you cannot acquire from any other class. It teaches you that you can take red and yellow paint and make orange....so what else can you mix to make what???

the teacher gives them a sheet of paper and crayons ( love the smell of new crayolas) and tells them to draw the world ...some will draw a house with a cat and a dog and their family....that is their world. But some will draw space ships and stars and aliens things that don't exist in our realm ...but does in theirs. but both have unleashed their imagination the most powerful gift we are given ...it allows us to do so much ...Imagine where this world would be if there was no imagination...we would still be in caves...eating raw dinosaur ....but no someone had to invent the wheel , and someone saw a spark and knew it could cook food or do something great. So those art classes give the kids the chance to learn how to problem solve using the imagination they nurture and build...and that with all the other stuff they learn puts them in a place in this world that they can do anything.

We take pieces of functional fabric meant for clothing or traditional quilts and paint with them creating a piece of art that absorbs your soul when you look at it...

Have a day full of imagination''

4 comments:

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Lorri! That is so true. It's a terrible class to cut. The things they learn in art class is nothing compared to all other classes. The mind is more free and the creative juices can only help lift the imagination more. Have a lovely day!

Hugs,
Lisa :)

Tammy Freiborg said...

I would add that when children do have art class there should be no grades. A child should be allowed to explore and create without fear of judgment.

Lorri Lee Chambers said...

Thank you both for your comments.. I am working on a creativity test that I think will be lots of fun..and could provide a breakthrough for people who are stuck.

Sweet P said...

You are so right about teaching creativity to children. My grandson is only 5 months old. He started going to day care twice a week (his mommy works there in another room). The first week he was there the teachers did foot painting (like finger painting, but using their feet) to make flip flops. This was with a group of 6 week to one-year-olds. I was amazed they start arts and crafts so early. They do a project every week! My DIL and I will keep encouraging his creativity as both of us are creative people.

Why I create (my new name Lorri Lee Glennon)

My photo
Hobbsville, North Carolina, United States
Having been a artist literally all my life, I love color and dimension.I learned to sew at age 10 , by age 13 started a stuffed animal business, which grew into a collectable Teddy Bear Business for 15 + years. I opened my own bead store specializing in Spontaneous Creation classes and love to teach everyone they could be creative and open the door to their imagination.I recently returned to one of my favorite art forms taking photographs my father gave me my first camera when I was a child and I have loved photography ever since. I took professional family portraits and weddings for the first 5 years living in the Outer Banks, I am now shooting Family portraits again and sharing my love of the Outer Banks through my blogs. Be creative, walk in faith and never give up....It all happens in God's time